Skip to content

Help / FAQs

Accessing NES (office hours, holidays, phone number, address, etc)

  • What are NES office hours?
    Customer Lobby: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
    Report a Power Outage: 24/7
    Customer Relations: 24/7
    Tree Trimming: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
    Social Media: Sunday-Saturday, 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
  • What is the NES Power Outage phone number?
    The NES outage number is 615-234-0000.
  • When can I call to report a power outage?
    You can report a power outage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via the outage number: 615-234-0000.
  • What is the NES Customer Relations phone number?
  • When can I reach NES Customer Relations?
    NES has a 24/7 Customer Relations department that can be reached at 615-736-6900.
  • How can I contact NES about tree trimming?
    You can call our tree trimming line: 615-695-7400.
  • When can I call NES about tree trimming?
    You can call our tree trimming line Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
  • What is the address for NES?
    1214 Church Street.
  • Is there parking at NES?
    Yes. NES has a parking lot available for customers at the Church Street entrance.
  • Can I reach someone after hours?
    NES now has an after-hours contact center that can be reached at the normal Customer Relations number: 615-736-6900.
  • Can I contact NES via email?
    We respond to customer emails within 2 business days. Submit your request through our  online contact form.
  • Can I speak to NES in person?
    Yes. You can speak to an NES service advisor in our Customer Lobby located at 1214 Church Street.
  • When does NES monitor social media?
    NES monitors Facebook and Twitter seven days a week, from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @nespower.
  • Where can I mail my NES payment?
    Send payments to:
    Nashville Electric Service
    P.O. Box 305099
    Nashville, TN 37230-5099
  • Where can I mail NES correspondence?
    Send correspondence to:
    Nashville Electric Service
    1214 Church Street
    Nashville, TN 37246
  • When is the NES Customer Lobby open?
    Customer Lobby hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • What are NES’ holiday hours?
    Our offices will be closed on the following days in 2022:


    • MLK Day – Monday, January 17
    • Good Friday – Friday, April 15
    • Memorial Day – Monday, May 30
    • Juneteenth Holiday - Monday, June 20
    • Independence Day – Monday, July 4
    • Labor Day – Monday, September 5
    • Thanksgiving – Thursday-Friday, November 24-25
    • Christmas Eve – Friday, December 23
    • Christmas - Monday, December 26
  • Who do I contact for issues that cannot be resolved by NES?
    TVA provides regulatory oversight for NES and other utilities in the Tennessee Valley. If you have an unresolved issue regarding your electric service that cannot be resolved by NES, visit

My Account Q&A

  • How do I start, stop or transfer service?
    Customers can call 615-736-6900 to start, stop or transfer service (Monday-Friday 6 a.m. to midnight., Saturday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.). You can also visit the customer service office located at 1214 Church St., Nashville. (M-F, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.).
  • How can I pay my bill?
    NES offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. E-bill is offered free of charge for customers to receive their bill and pay online using their bank account or sign up for automatic payments. A one-time payment can be made online or by phone for a fee of $2.25 for customers who have not signed up for E-bill. Customers can also pay by mail using check or in the customer service lobby located at 1214 Church St., Nashville- both free of charge. Automatic transfers can also be set up to deduct from your checking account each month.
  • What if I don’t have the money to pay my bill by the due date?
    We encourage customers who might be struggling to pay their bill to contact a customer service advisor at 615-736-6900. Customer service advisors can often work with customers to avoid service being disconnected. (link to financial assistance page)
  • What do I do if my power is disconnected for nonpayment?
    Customers should call 615-736-6900 during regular customer service hours (Mon.-Fri. before 6 p.m.). Calling after hours for reconnection will result in a higher reconnection fee. (link to pay my bill page)
  • How does NES determine how much my bill will be? Is there set rate?
    NES has seasonal rates which are passed down from TVA. The average residential customer uses 1100 kilowatt hours of electricity each month. The meter reading is taken monthly and added to TVA’s fuel adjustment cost, grid access charge and NES service charge. If you have questions about your bill, call 615-736-6900 for a service advisor to go over your usage.
  • What is TVA seasonal rates?
    TVA charges customers a higher rate in the summer (June- September) and winter (December-March), when it costs the most to produce power because of increased customer usage. Rates are lower during transitional months (April-May & October-November). (link to rates page)
  • What is the TVA grid access charge?
    Effective October 2018, TVA introduced a new fixed monthly charge on NES' power bill (the Grid Access Charge, or GAC) "to more closely reflect the cost of providing power, specifically the fixed costs associated with the grid". NES therefore had to design a methodology to pass that cost through to customers.


  • How do I report my power outage?
    NES offers several ways to report a power outage - online through My Account, via text message from your mobile device or by calling 615-234-0000. Customers must register for online accounts and text messaging communication.
  • What if I have life-saving equipment that cannot be out for an extended amount of time?
    If you or a family member rely on an electrical life-sustaining medical device in your home, call us to make sure we're aware of it. In some cases, severe storms can damage our electrical system so badly that it takes days to fix. If you depend on electricity, it's important to have an emergency back-up plan in place. For more information on critical referral, call 615-736-6900 to speak with customer service.
  • Why is the outage number completely automated?
    NES uses an automated system to process more calls and get electricity on quicker. When you call 615-234-0000, enter your NES account number, meter number or the phone number associated with your account for the system to recognize your location and send a crew to restore power.
  • How does NES restore power?
    Crews follow a three-step process to get power back on as quickly as possible. Substations are repaired first, followed by neighborhoods and individual outages.
  • What caused my outage?
    While a number of factors can cause outages, weather-related issues are the most common cause of power outages. Animals, car accidents and equipment malfunctions can also lead to power outages.
  • Why do I not see my address on the outage map?
    The outage map indicates the nearest substation to your outage. This means your exact address may not appear on the outage map.
  • Does NES know when I’ve lost power?
    NES can pinpoint transmission lines, substations and major circuits that are down. However, your outage may require individual repairs, so be sure to report it right away by calling 615-234-0000.
  • What if there is damage to my property?
    If the meter base or masthead looks damaged, you will need to call a licensed electrician to make repairs before NES can reconnect power.
  • How can I tell if a downed power line is still carrying electricity?
    Any downed power line could be live. Never go near a downed power line, and immediately call 911 to report the issue. 911 officials will notify NES of the downed line.
  • What do I do if a tree falls on or near a power line?
    If a tree falls on or near a power line resulting in an outage, call 911 if it is an emergency. For non-emergency issues, call 615-736-6900. Most importantly, never go near a downed line. Please note- NES does not remove tree debris caused by a storm or emergency situation. Crews may need to cut broken and uprooted trees to make repairs, but it is the responsibility of the property owner to remove the tree debris.
  • Why would an NES crew pass my house without stopping?
    The crew could be looking for the cause of the outage or working at a nearby location before electric service can be restored to your home.
  • How long does food last after the power goes out?
    According to the USDA, food stored in a fully-stocked freezer will stay cold for two days. An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold for four hours after power is lost. Check the temperature inside your fridge once electricity is restored to determine if the food is safe to eat. It should be at or below 40 degrees and the freezer at or below zero degrees.
  • My power is out, and I see a crew nearby. Why are they sitting in their truck?
    NES has several kinds of crews to perform different tasks. The crew you see is likely waiting for another crew to be able to complete the restoration.

Renewable Energy (solar, electric vehicles)

  • Does NES offer renewable energy programs?
    We are proud to offer renewable energy programs that harness the power of natural resources like the sun and wind. Our programs include Music City Solar, Green Power Switch, Green Power Providers and Dispersed Power Program.
  • What is Music City Solar?
    Nashville's first community solar park, Music City Solar, gives you access to sustainable, maintenance-free solar energy without the hassle and costs associated with installing panels on your home or business.
  • What is the Green Switch program?
    Customers who participate in the Green Switch program purchase "blocks" of renewable electricity from resources such as wind, solar and methane gas for as little as $4 a month. Each $4 ensures that 150 kilowatt-hours of clean, renewable energy is added to TVA’s electricity mix so your family can enjoy clean, green energy at a low cost.
  • What is the Green Flex program?
    Green Flex, is a new program offered by TVA that allows businesses and institutions inside the Valley to buy in. When you buy Green Flex, you are able to make renewable energy claims, which allow you to show your customers and stakeholders that you are a supporter of regional green initiatives. The RECs purchased through the program are delivered to the Valley along with the renewable energy, and the cost of the RECs is added to your regular electricity bill.
  • What is the Green Invest program?
    Green Invest is a program available to local power companies and business and industry customers across TVA’s service territory. The program leverages long-term agreements to build new, large-scale renewable energy installations in the Valley through a competitive bid process.
  • What is the Green Power Providers program?
    The Green Power Providers program (formerly Generation Partners) provides technical support and incentives for homes and businesses that generate their own renewable energy. If you’re interested in installing a small-scale renewable energy system on your property—and getting paid for every kilowatt hour it generates—the Green Power Providers program is right for you.
  • What is the Dispersed Power Program?
    TVA works directly with qualified producers with a qualified facility as determined by FERC. The generation size is unlimited through the Dispersed Power Program. If you have a renewable power system for your own use and would like to sell excess power to TVA, or if you have a renewable system that’s larger—up to 80 MW—than can be accommodated by any other Valley Renewable Energy Program, then you might be a fit for the Dispersed Power Production program.
  • How can I participate in the Dispersed Power Program?
    To participate in the program and sell power to TVA, call (423) 751-8640 or send an email TVA at [email protected] and request a standard contract.
  • Does NES support electric vehicles?
    NES is working to improve the air quality in Nashville by supporting the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs), which reduce greenhouse gas emissions and dependence on petroleum-based fuels. Our grid powers your ride. However, there are a few things to consider before you purchase a new electric vehicle.
  • Is there a difference between plug-in hybrids and battery electric vehicles?
    There are two types of plug-in electric vehicles: the battery electric vehicle and the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, which generates energy from both a battery and an internal combustion engine.
    • Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) have two power systems, an internal combustion engine and a rechargeable battery. These vehicles use both gas and electricity. They run initially on batteries charged from the electric grid. When the batteries are depleted (typically 15-40 miles depending on the automobile), the vehicle switches to the engine fueled by gasoline. Plug-in hybrids can take up to seven hours to fully charge on a standard 120-volt outlet.
    • Battery electric vehicles (BEV) run solely on batteries charged from the electric grid. A battery electric vehicle can charge on a standard 120-volt outlet or on a 240-volt rated charging unit.
  • What steps should I take before purchasing an electric vehicle?
    • STEP 1 – Decide on the make and model of the plug-in electric vehicle you want to purchase.
    • STEP 2 – Review the charging options and choose one of the two levels that best meets your needs
    • STEP 3 – Contact NES at [email protected] to evaluate the service transformer and grid infrastructure serving your home or business.
    • STEP 4 – Contact a qualified licensed electrician to evaluate your current electrical infrastructure and determine what upgrades, if any, need to be made. Several auto manufacturers are working with their customers to provide site assessments and EVSE installation cost estimates. Customers should check with the auto manufacturer to determine if this is a service they provide.
  • What are my electric vehicle charging options?
    Most plug-in electric vehicles will charge at home on one of two charging levels. Depending on the level you select, you may need to upgrade your home electrical system. You can learn more about our charging options here.
  • Will I save money by purchasing an electric vehicle?
    Buying an EV means that your electricity consumption will be changing. You are replacing gasoline with electricity as your vehicle’s primary fuel. Therefore, your electric bill will increase while your gasoline expenses decrease. It costs approximately $0.03 per mile to fuel a battery electric vehicle compared to approximately $0.10 per mile for gas with an average 30 mile per gallon vehicle. Compare the monthly fuel costs and see how much you can save.
  • What is SmartCharge Nashville?
    NES in partnership with TVA, Middle Tennessee Electric and FleetCarma has launched SmartCharge Nashville, a 2-year voluntary pilot project to better understand driver behavior and prepare for a growing number of electric vehicle drivers in Nashville. Eligible volunteers must live in the Greater Nashville area and drive an all electric or plug-in electric vehicle. Enrollment is limited. Learn more here.
  • What are the environmental benefits of electric vehicles?
    Though conventional gasoline vehicles are becoming cleaner and other alternative fuel vehicles can alleviate air pollution, electric vehicles offer the greatest air quality benefits of any available technology. Battery electric vehicles have exceptional air quality benefits such as reducing emissions of reactive organic gases (ROG), nitrogen oxides (NO) - the precursors to smog, and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.


  • Where can I find your current job postings?
    Thank you for your interest. A current list of job openings can be found on our website
  • How can I apply for a job at NES?
    Job applications and resumes must be submitted through our online career portal.
  • Can I apply for a job if I don’t have a computer?
    If you do not have access to a computer, a kiosk is available in the NES Visitor’s Lobby at 1214 Church Street.
  • What should I do if I need assistance completing a job application?
    For assistance completing your application, contact an NES Staffing Representative at 615-747-3676.
  • Is NES an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer?
    NES is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. NES has a practice of promoting from within the organization when qualified employees express interest. However, sometimes it becomes necessary to recruit and select candidates from outside the organization to fill our staffing needs.

Ways to Save

  • Where can I learn how to save money and energy?
    You can find energy saving tips here. You can also follow our Facebook and Twitter accounts for energy saving tips.
  • How can I save energy during the summer?
    • Set the thermostat between 76 and 78 degrees when you are home. Use a fan to circulate air and help you feel cooler.
    • Close curtains & blinds on the sunny side of your home to block out heat. Open them on the shady side for a free light source.
    • Keep your outside air conditioning unit free of debris and grass clippings.
    • Avoid using appliances that create heat and humidity, such as the oven, dishwasher and clothes dryer during the hottest part of the day. Summer is a perfect time to grill out and line dry clothes.
    • Turn down your water heater to 120 degrees and take cooler showers.
    • Have your AC unit serviced once a year.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for energy saving tips.
  • How can I save energy during the winter?
    • Keep blinds open during the day to let direct sunlight generate warmth. Close them at night to hold in the heat.
    • Replace the air filter in your heating unit regularly.
    • Set your thermostat at 68 degrees and lower it two or three degrees when you’re going to be gone for several hours.
    • Close the fireplace damper when not in use.
    • Wear extra layers, add another blanket to your bed, etc. to feel warmer.
    • Caulk/weatherstrip around doors and windows to reduce drafts and improve comfort.
    • Turn off bathroom ventilation fans immediately after use.
  • How can I find out if my home is energy efficient?
    It's easy to find out how energy efficient your home is. Visit our Manage my Energy page or complete this quick DIY energy assessment to get a free energy-saving kit in the mail.
  • How can I learn more about my actual energy usage?
    You can use our the PowerWise Bill Analyzer for personalized details about your actual energy usage.
  • What is Balanced Billing?
    Budgeting is much easier when you know what to expect each month. With Balanced Billing for residential customers, you'll receive predictable energy bills based on your average energy usage. That means significant changes in the outside temperature won’t result in large spikes on your bill.
  • How does Balanced Billing work?
    • We spread your annual energy usage into 12 convenient monthly payments.
    • You'll still pay for the exact amount of electricity that you used at the end of each year, but it's a balanced amount for 11 months.
    • On the 12th month, you will pay for that month’s energy usage, plus or minus the difference if your energy usage was higher or lower than average.
    To determine your monthly payment amount, we take an average of your energy usage for the past year and bill it at the current residential rate. This allows you to level out your electricity costs for the one-year period ahead. If there is a change in your usage, your average bill amount will change slightly (up or down) each time we read your meter.
  • How can I join Balanced Billing?
    You must have service at your present address for at least one year to qualify. This program is not available to customers with a past due balance on their account. Sign up online or call Customer Relations at 615-736-6900 to see if Balanced Billing is right for you. If your account becomes past due, you will be automatically dropped from Balanced Billing. You may cancel your enrollment at any time.
  • What can cause my bill to become higher during the summer?
    Customers typically see an increase in their energy usage with their July and August bills. There are several factors that contribute to higher bills in the summer.
    • Warmer Weather
      Weather is the number one cause for increases in your bill since cooling costs account for 40-50 percent of your total bill amount. Extreme outside temperatures make your cooling system run longer and use more electricity.
    • Higher Rates
      TVA's seasonal rate structure is adjusted four times a year. The rate is higher in the summer (June-September) and winter (December-March) and lower during transitional months (April-May & October-November)
    • Length of Billing Cycle
      The date we read your meter varies slightly month-to-month due to weekends and holidays, so the number of days included in your monthly bill can vary between 28 and 34. Even if you use the same amount of energy per day, your bill may be higher if there were more days than average in the billing cycle.
    • Summer Vacation
      Summer can mean children are home more than usual, more meals are served at home and company comes to visit, all of which contribute to increased energy usage.
  • How can I save energy with my heating and cooling system?
    • Set your thermostat between 76 and 78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees or lower in the winter.
    • Use a ceiling fan to circulate air in the summer months to make you feel cooler.
    • Get your HVAC system serviced every year including a check on refrigerant levels, the compressor, hoses, ductwork and thermostat.
    • Clean or replace air filters regularly.
    • Invest in a programmable thermostat.
    • Consider the savings potential of replacing your old heat pump using the Heat Pump Calculator.
    • Estimate the cost of supplemental heat during cold winter months with the Space Heater Calculator.
  • How can I save energy with lighting and appliances?
    • Consider switching to energy-efficient CFLs or LEDs
    • Keep light fixtures and bulbs clean. Dust absorbs 50 percent of light.
    • Let food cool before putting it in the refrigerator. Hot foods will raise the temperature in the fridge and make it work harder.
    • Consider grilling during summer months. Using an oven makes your home hotter.
    • Wash full loads of clothes and use cold water when possible.
    • Don’t run the dishwasher unless it’s completely full.
    • Find out how much energy the appliances in your home use with the Appliance Calculator.
    • Use the TV Calculator to compare energy costs based on the type of television you own.
    • Turn off electronics and lights when not in use.
    • Eliminate phantom load by using a power strip for your computer and other electronics to completely disconnect the power supply from the power source.
  • What is Phantom Load?
    Wasting electricity can be pretty spooky, especially when energy vampires are lurking around your home. These appliances and other plugged-in devices continue to suck power from electrical outlets even when they are turned off. According to the Department of Energy, the average household has approximately 40 energy vampires in their home costing more than $100 a year. You can ward off energy waste with these helpful tips.
  • Where does Phantom Load occur?
    • In the Bathroom
      Hair dryers, curling irons and electric shavers left plugged into the wall while not in use can still drain electricity. Don’t turn your beauty routine into a nightmare. Unplug those devices when you’re done.
    • In the Kitchen
      Before you leave for the day, make a habit of unplugging all unnecessary kitchen appliances including your coffee maker, microwave, toaster oven and other unused appliances.
    • In the Living Room
      Older set-top cable boxes and DVRs are some of the most frightening energy vampires since they constantly drain 25-45 watts of energy when not in use. Try hooking up your entertainment center and other electronics to a power strip to easily switch off the entire system when you need to. Just remember that if you’re planning to record a show, your cable box must be on.
    • In the Home Office
      Your computer and printer still use energy when they’re in idle mode. Plug your devices into a power strip and flip it off instead to save.
    • In the Bedroom
      Once your cell phone or tablet is powered up, unplug the charger to avoid wasting energy. Also, be sure to power down your video game console when it’s “game over.”
  • What can I do around my home to save energy?
    • In the summer, close curtains and blinds on the sunny side of your home to block out the heat. In the winter, take advantage of the sun's warmth and open drapes in south facing windows.
    • Seal up leaks by weather-stripping doors and caulking windows.
    • Close the fireplace damper when you aren’t using it.
    • If your water heater is in an unheated space, wrap it in an insulation blanket to prevent it from losing heat.
    • Turn the water heater off if you are going to be gone more than three days.
    • Smart landscaping can provide shade to your home and significantly reduce your cooling costs.
  • What rebates and incentives does NES offer?
    NES and EnergyRight are partnering to offer financial incentives for certain Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) technologies.
    • Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Incentive
      UVGI uses UV-C light, a short wavelength ultraviolet light that may help inactivate certain airborne pathogens. TVA is offering eligible participants $30 per ton for duct-mounted UVGI systems. All incentives are subject to approval by TVA and NES and are contingent upon available funding.

How can I become an NES vendor

  • How can I become an NES vendor?

    Step 1.  Every potential vendor with NES is required to register online through My Vendor Account in order to view open bid opportunities and submit bids.

    Step 2.  After completing the online vendor registration process, you will be issued a Vendor Identification Number.

    Step 3.  Vendors are required to print and return to NES all necessary vendor documents in order to begin receiving notifications and submit bids.

  • Where can I complete the registration to become an NES vendor?
    You can register online through My Vendor Account.
  • Can anyone become an NES vendor?
    We offer equal opportunity to anyone interested in doing business with us through our Supplier Diversity program. That includes small, TN service-disabled veteran, minority and women-owned companies.
  • What is the Supplier Diversity program?
    We offer a certification program for all small, TN service-disabled veteran, minority and women-owned companies doing business with NES.
  • What is considered a small business?
    Your company must be independently owned and operated, and average annual sales cannot exceed $6,000,000 in the past three years. You must provide copies of the first page of income tax returns for the most recent three year period or a notarized letter from a CPA stating the three-year average for the company’s gross sales is under $6 million.
  • What is considered to be a TN service-disabled-owned business?
    Your business must be at least 51 percent owned by a person residing in Tennessee, who served honorably on active duty in the armed forces of the United States with at least a 20 percent disability that is service-connected, meaning the disability was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty in the active military, naval or air service.
  • What does NES consider to be a minority and women-owned company?
    Your business must be owned by - or a majority of the individual owners are - a member of minority groups and/or a woman. You must provide to NES a certificate of approval from one of the following certifying agencies.
    • Governor’s Office of Diversity Business Enterprise (Go-DBE)
    • National Minority Supplier Diversity Council (NMSDC), including regional affiliate councils
    • Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
    • National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
    • Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT)
    • Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority (MNAA)
    • Metro Transit Authority (MTA)
    • City, state and federal government certification agencies
  • Where can I learn more about the Supplier Diversity program?
    Learn more about the Supplier Diversity program here
  • How can I submit a bid?
    The NES bid process is handled completely online. NES no longer distributes or accepts bids by fax or mail, except when noted in the bid document. When NES needs a product or service that you provide, you will receive an email notification to submit a quotation and complete a standard bid form through My Vendor Account.
  • Can I submit a bid to NES by mail or fax?
    NES no longer distributes or accepts bids by fax or mail, except when noted in the bid document.
  • How will I know when NES needs my service?
    When NES needs a product or service that you provide, you will receive an email notification to submit a quotation and complete a standard bid form through My Vendor Account.
  • What is NES’ policy when considering bids?
    NES carefully considers all bids. We work to ensure that all companies have a fair opportunity to win NES contracts regardless of their size or the race, gender, religion or ethnic origin of its owners. Read our Terms & Conditions.
  • Who can I contact about bid opportunities with NES?
    You can contact the NES Procurement Staff. It's important to know who to call so that you have every opportunity to compete for open bid opportunities with NES.
  • When are deliveries accepted at NES?
    Deliveries are accepted Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
  • Where are NES warehouses and delivery locations?
    You can find our warehouse and delivery locations here: Warehouse & Delivery Locations 

Tree Trimming Q&A

  • Are tree crews working in my neighborhood?
    You will receive a postcard, voicemail message and/or notice on your door when crews are scheduled to work in your neighborhood. We will make every attempt to alert you prior to tree trimming and keep you informed throughout the process. If you have questions, call our tree trimming hotline at 615-695-7400.
  • Why does NES trim trees?
    Our mission is to provide safe and reliable power to all of our customers. Tree trimming is crucial to make sure limbs do not interfere with power lines and cause outages or dangerous hazards.
  • How often does NES trim my trees?
    Customers can expect to have their trees trimmed every 3 to 4 years.
  • How are trees trimmed?
    NES has six certified arborists on staff to ensure trees are kept healthy during the trimming process. Our goal is to keep trees healthy while making sure they don’t interfere with power lines. Learn more about our trimming guidelines.
  • Who cleans up the debris after trimming?
    During normal trimming, our contractors will remove and/or chip tree limbs and debris from your property. However, NES does not remove tree debris caused by a storm or an emergency situation. Crews may need to cut broken and uprooted trees to make repairs to our lines, but it is the responsibility of the property owner to remove the storm debris.
  • Will NES ever cut down a tree?
    Trees growing directly under or close to power lines can be difficult to trim. In some cases, it is best to remove and replace the tree.
  • Can NES legally trim trees?
    A: Courts in Tennessee support a public utility's right to trim and remove trees, both within and outside of the right-of-way. According to the Municipal Electric Plant Law of 1935 and the Metro Charter, Appendix III, Article 42, NES has the power to purchase, construct, maintain and improve the electric system and to "do all acts and things necessary and convenient" to carry out the power given.
  • Where should I plant trees to avoid future problems?
    A: Trees grow to varying heights. Before planting, visualize the height and spread of a mature tree in relation to nearby power lines. Follow our minimum planting clearances to avoid future tree trimming.
  • Who can I contact for additional questions?
    Call our tree trimming hotline at 615-695-7400 (Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.).
  • How much does NES trim off trees?
    NES requires a minimum 10-foot clearance around poles for trees and shrubs.
    Overhang Removal - For large trees with branches hanging over power lines, we require at least 15 feet of clearance above lower voltage lines. With higher voltage lines, no overhang is allowed.
    “V” Pruning - When utility wires run through a tree, a v-cut is made to allow branches on either side of the wire to grow naturally.
    Side Pruning - Interfering side branches are removed from trees adjacent to power lines.

    Additionally, no vines can grow on NES poles or equipment. For pad mount transformers, a six foot minimum clearance is required in front of the transformer door so that crews can access the equipment and make repairs.