Skip to content

Due to supply chain issues, NES is limiting single-phase equipment to service restoration and permanent power needs. Read Supply Chain Update Letter for Builders

Builders & Developers

We understand how important it is to meet your construction and scheduling deadlines. It is important to contact us early in the process, so we can complete our engineering design, purchase equipment and materials, and build the electrical infrastructure by your “in-service” completion date.

Residential Subdivisions

Review the instructions below for obtaining service to a residential subdivision and submit your application. Once it has been approved, we will provide a single point of contact for the duration of the project. Electric service that involves an extension of primary lines into residential subdivisions may require a non-refundable Contribution in Aid to Construction (CIAC). The CIAC is calculated based on the estimated design cost minus an allowable investment limit.
Residential Subdivision Instructions 
Residential Subdivision Application
Contractor Guidelines
Metro’s Underground Utilities Ordinance requires lines to be buried underground in all new residential developments. Underground distribution creates more attractive streetscapes and reduces the number of power outages caused by trees. The following guidelines provide information and minimum utility requirements for establishing electric service to new and remodeled installations.

Underground Services
Two ditch inspections are required when building underground service to your home or business. Minimum requirements are explained in Electric Service Guidelines (see above). All fees must be paid before an inspection can be scheduled.
To request an inspection, complete this form.
Individual Residences
A non-refundable Contribution in Aid to Construction (CIAC) may be required for the addition of primary or service lines on private property that is not part of a residential development. The CIAC is calculated based on the estimated design cost minus an allowable investment limit. Permanent electric service to a mobile home is available if the mobile homeowner owns the property and the home is connected to a water system and septic tank or sewer line.

Trenching and Tunneling Near Trees

NES recommends following Dr. James R Fazio’s field guide when excavating near trees to avoid root damage and injury to the tree. To obtain a free copy of the field pocket guide, call NES at 615-747-3711. More information is available at

Sign up for alerts

  • Standard Available Primary Voltages
    • 13,800 volts (3-wire, 3-Phase)
    • 23,900 grounded wye / 13,800 volts, 4-wire, 3-phase)
    • 69,000 volts (3-wire, 3phase)
    • 161,000 volts (3-wire, 3-phase)
  • Standard Available Three-Phase Secondary Voltages and Maximum Demand
    • 208V grounded wye/ 120 volts (4-wire)
      • Overhead Service - 500kVA – (3-167kVA Bank - Max.)
      • Underground Service – 2,500kVA
    • 480V grounded wye/ 277 volts (4-wire)
      • Overhead Service – 500kVA 
      • Underground Service – 3,750kVA
    • 240V Delta, 3-wire: not available for new services
    • 480V Delta, 3-wire: not available for new services
  • Standard Available Single-Phase Secondary Voltages and Maximum Demand
    • 120/ 240 volts (3-wire)
      • Overhead or underground Service – 167kVA
    • 120 volts (2-wire): available only for services of 60 amperes or less.

Contact Energy Services Engineering for a consultation to discuss special service and non-standard voltages.

Preferred Partner Network
The Preferred Partner Network is an opportunity for qualified general contractors, architects, engineers and others to support TVA’s energy efficiency programs. Learn more about becoming a member.